Michael Arlen, President of NEWtritious, is raising the bar on nutrition.
Michael Arlen was a pioneer in the sales automation, desktop publishing and e-commerce revolutions. Early adoption of those technologies greatly empowered and enriched everyone at Arlen Advertising. Along with the ad agency's financial success, Michael Arlen was catapulted into the limelight of a soon to be ever-changed industry. Arlen Advertising was heralded as one of the first ad agencies to embrace the digital age and demonstrate "how much more could be done with less," through digital technology.
Apple Japan and Canon brought film crews to document the workflow in progress at Arlen Advertising; and showed its investors how ad agencies of the future would soon operate without the use of gigantic, electro-mechanical typesetting devices or darkrooms with expensive cameras and toxic chemicals.
During his second decade at the helm of Arlen Advertising, Michael enjoyed near “rock star status,” touring the globe, speaking at International Ad Industry and Technology Conferences. Quick to spot and seize opportunities, Michael forged strategic partnerships everywhere he went. In its heyday, he boasted that: “the sun never set on Arlen Advertising!” The agency prospered even during recessionary times in the US. When business was slow at its headquarters in Los Angeles, Michael received work from his branch offices in Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City.
Much of the work from the overseas affiliated offices was helping foreign companies prepare appropriate marketing materials for use in the US Market. Michael also designed and imported custom promotional items for the US Entertainment and Automobile industries. The contract manufacturing of promotions business, later gave rise to the launch of ShoppingNet.com, one of the first aggregators of catalog items from multiple sources. Arlen also launched: YourLogoOnIt.com, an online version of Arlen Advertising's brick and mortar promotional items business. These two start-ups, were later emulated by Arlen Advertising clients: Duty Free Shoppers and LVMH, who first ventured together with the launch of eluxury.com, before they decided to merge.
Shoppingnet.com was sold to a conglomerate in Korea in 1999 and Arlen Advertising was sold to another ad agency headquartered in Florida.
While still at the helm of Arlen Advertising, Arlen was approached by the NIH’s National Blood, Lung and Heart Institute to help design new protocol materials based on the concensus drawn during the Scientific Sessions of various stakeholder organizations. Arlen Medical Education Products was later launched, as the triage-focused materials that Arlen designed, became the gold standard for teaching doctors how to treat heart attacks. These new materials changed the way emergency medicine was taught in medical schools. They also paved the way for the eventual training and certification of Allied Healthcare professionals in the delivery of Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
After experiencing a fluke heart attack of his own, Arlen was inspired to launch NEWtritious, NEWtritious, a functional foods company to improve the nutritional profile in easy to prepare foods and address the nutritional deficiencies that have been shown to help prevent many chronic, degenerative diseases.
Michael Arlen graduated Loyola Law School with a Juris Doctorate and UCLA with a BA in Anthropology. He’s multi-lingual, multi-cultural, and has traveled and lived abroad extensively. He feels just as comfortable living and doing business in Madrid, as he does in São Paulo, Hong Kong or Tokyo. He’s fluent in English, Spanish & Portuguese; knows a smattering of other languages and has loyal friends with places to stay all over the world. He currently resides in Los Angeles, with his wife and 3 children.
To find more information about Michael Arlen or his NEWtritious™ products, such as Instant NEWtrition™, HHice Cream™ , Alpha Omega™ , Haute Tomato™ or Kherb Appeal™ , you can contact Michael Arlen through: http://www.MichaelArlen.com
Michael Arlen's Background
Michael Arlen's Experience
President at NEWtritious, LLC
February 2002 - Present | 11400 W. Olympic Blvd., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90064-1579
Founder and President, NEWtritious (Functional Foods), January 2002 – Present
* Raised the bar on nutrition and introduced “Ounces of Prevention™” into the food chain.
* Developed and introduced these innovative product lines:
1. Kherb Appeal®: A Delight-Full™instant pudding that suppresses appetite and provides balanced nutrition.
2. Instant NEWtrition®: A savory alternative to those sugary-sweet meal replacement shakes.
3. HHice Cream® Probiotic Defense: A soft serve frozen yogurt that “supports immunity” and “digestive health.”
4. Alpha Omega®: A vitamin and mineral booster that can be incorporated into one’s own recipes.
5. Haute Tomato®: “Your multi-vitamin never tasted this good!”™ Virgin Bloody Mary Mix. Just add water.
6. Function-ala-Teas®: Instant Teas with functionality.
* Negotiated distribution and licensing agreements.
* Developed the “NEW Deal”: a vertically integrated collaborative model that enlists the biggest influencers to become stakeholders.
President / Publisher at Arlen Medical Education Products
January 1993 - 2002 | Los Angeles
Publisher, Arlen Medical Education Products, January 1993 – February 2002
Designed and developed what became the new standard in triage-focused medical education products.
* Changed the way emergency medicine was taught in medical schools; and paved the way to train and certify Allied
Healthcare professionals in the delivery of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support
(PALS) and Neonatal Resuscitation.
* Designed and developed the first pocket references for ACLS, PALS, Neonatal Resuscitation & Asthma Guidelines.
* Developed key accounts and regional distributors, and managed outside vendor relationships.
* Implemented sophisticated online marketing and internet-based viral marketing strategies.
* Boosted sales via strategic alliances with universities, associations and pharmaceutical firms.
* Cultivated a loyal clientele base of over 20,000 healthcare instructors, medical schools and hospitals.
* Developed strategic alliances with medical authorities in New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
President / Creative Director at Arlen Advertising
January 1982 - October 1999 | Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico City
Founded and grew a small ad agency into an international integrated marketing firm.
* Early Adopter of Office Automation, Desktop Publishing and e-Commerce platforms helped grow the small start-up into
one of Los Angeles’s top 25 ad agencies (in billings) for 15 consecutive years.
* Took sizeable portions of the Sizzler, Kentucky Fried Chicken, PIP Printing, Prudential Insurance, City National Bank,
R&B Enterprises and IHOP business away from blue chip ad agencies.
* Cultivated a network of business relationships through long-term involvement w/ industry trade orgs and charity.
* Forged the initial alliance between 11 So Cal Newspapers to concurrently run “You and Your First Job” special
section for PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association)
The Network included:
Los Angeles Times, Orange Country Register, Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Riverside News Press, Simi Valley Enterprise and Ventura Star, Riverside Press Enterprise and the San Diego Union Tribune.
This was a harbinger to the Southern California’s “Rainbow group media buy” later offered through SRDS (Standard Rate and Data).
* Rallied all 11 newspapers to co-operate again the following year, and got La Opinion, the Korea Times and the
China Daily News to translate and publish the “You and Your First Job” materials in Spanish, Korean and Mandarin.
* Spearheaded lead generation, proposal development, sales presentations, and client negotiations.
* Analyzed sales statistics to formulate policies and develop promotional plans and materials.
* Created budgets and supervised day-to-day operations of a $28 Million enterprise.
* Opened and managed offices in Los Angeles, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore and Mexico City.
* Oversaw projects with full accountability for sales, creative, production and media.
* Sold company in October 1999.
Vice President of Marketing at ShoppingNet.com
January 1995 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Helped launch one of the first online aggregators of direct mail catalogs for overseas purchasers.
* Wrote business plan and provided strategic planning.
* Helped assemble Management Team to run operations.
* Shopped idea to independent investors and venture capital firms.
* Contracted for site development in English, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.
* Conducted sales presentations in the U.S., Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
* Company was purchased in 1999.
President at YourLogoOnIt.com
July 1997 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Launched one of the first online providers of promotional items.
Increased profits through vertical integration by designing and contract manufacturing custom-designed products overseas.
* Contract manufactured unique promotional items in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Mexico.
* Created collateral materials and exhibited at key tradeshows.
* Contracted for affiliate and co-branded sales channels with major associations and trade groups.
Michael Arlen's Education
Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University
1975 – 1979
Concentration: Civil Trial Advocacy, Intellectual Property & Tax Law
Activities: Served as a Law Clerk at Dryden Harrington Swartz, an Insurance Defense Firm. I specialized in drafting pleadings to remove matters from Federal Jurisdiction. My pleadings removed several (at least 4) LA Police Protection League matters (the infamous bar choke hold cases).
I also wrote the pleadings which removed the soon to become landmark "Ford Pinto Case" (Grimshaw vs Ford) from the Federal Court. Opposing Counsel (Mr. Robinson, of Cummings, White, Robinson & Robinson) offered me a job, after my pleadings knocked them out of Federal Court.
(The matter could have settled for $2.1 Million, but went to trial in California's state court system, where it became the largest Punitive Damage Claim of its time: $128 Million!)
I also used Medical Research to settle a matter for one of the Senior Partners. The Insurance Company reversed its refusal of coverage of hypnotherapy for his wife's cancer pain. (A then novel therapy for pain.)
University of California, Los Angeles
1972 – 1974
Bachelors of Science
Activities: Served as the Department of Architecture's Spanish Speaking Liaison for a Zoning Awareness Project to rally the Spanish & Japanese speaking residents to oppose the creation of a spur of the 405 Freeway to run along Sawtelle Blvd.
University of California, Santa Barbara
1974 – 1974
Concentration: Summer Total Immersion Program in Portuguese
Activities: Spent the Summer Session in a total immersion environment:"The Casa Portuguesa" with the Language Professors.
School of International Training, Brattleboro, VT
1973 – 1974
Concentration: Spanish Language Immersion and Semester Abroad
Activities: Studied the use of medicinal plants and the practice of folk medicine.
Wrote Thesis: "My Father The Witchdoctor: A Study In Cross Cultural Psychotherapy."
Also wrote a short ethnography, entitled "Vows of Silence" on Monastic Life. I was the first "Guest" to enter the Cloister of San Jerónimo Monks, since the Spanish Civil War (1936). During my 7-day "retreat," I worked 8 hours a day & prayed 8 hours a day, and observed life in the Monastery. While there, I single-handedly planted 200 almond trees & 500 pine trees.
20 years later, I took my parents and fiancée to Segovia's Alcazar and pointed-out the forest and orchard I planted on the opposing hillside where the Monastery stood.
Universidad de las Américas, A.C.
1972 – 1972
Concentration: Summer Program in Archaeology.
Activities: Surveyed and excavated a new site under the direction of Dr. Noberto Gonzalez and the Museo Nacional de Arqueoleogia, Mexico DF. We discovered & excavated a rare, sealed tomb. National Geographic flew-in a camera crew to document the opening of the tomb.
University of Southern California
1971 – 1972
Concentration: Cultural Anthropology & Oceanography
Activities: The only Undergraduate chosen to crew on an Oceanographic Expedition to perform piston coring across the Molokai Trench to prove the existence of a "Spreading Zone" & hence, proved The Plate Tectonic Theory.
Palisades High School
1968 – 1971
High School Diploma
Activities: Spent 2 years on the Leadership Council
as the Commissioner of Publications where I published Pali's literary magazine, Analecta (one issue had a foreword written by Rod Serling).
Lettered in Gymnastics & Track.
Michael Arlen's Interests & Activities
Present Professional Affiliations:
Past Chairman and Member, Board of Directors: Breathe LA (7 years)
Chairman and Member, Board of Directors: SOSMentor (3 years)
Secretary and Member, Board of Directors: Contra-Tiempo (3 years)
Past Professional Affiliations:
Chairman and Member, Board of Directors, American Lung Association of Los Angeles County (15 years)
Member, Board of Directors, American Lung Association of California (5 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Employment Management Association (4 years)
Program Chair, District 5’s Board of Directors, Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA) (18 years)
Member, Board of Directors, PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association) (4 years + 2 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Asian American Alliance of Public Relations and Ad Agencies (3 years)
Member, Board of Directors, American Social Marketing Association (ASMA) (2 years)
Member, Board of Directors, World Trade Center Association of Los Angeles County (4 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Dharma Heritage Foundation (4 years)
Member, Society of Human Resources Management (18 years)
Member, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) (4 years + 3 years)
Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 117, Brentwood, CA (6 years)
Member of the Order of the Arrow, Honor Society of the Boy Scouts of America (2 years + 6 years)
Judge: Clio Awards (3 years)
Judge: Addy Awards (3 years)
Pres. of Jury, Foreman of TV Entries: 11th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil
Juror, Foreman of Print Entries and Panelist: 10th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil
Speaker at: Seybold (3 years)
Speaker at: MacWorld Expo (2 years)
Contributing Editor: Ad Age, Asian Edition (5 years)
Contributing Author: MicroPublishing Times (4 years)
Intern/Legislative Analyst - Congressman Anthony Beilenson, Los Angeles, CA
Law Clerk - Dryden Harrington and Swartz, Los Angeles, CA
Special Assistant to Murillo Valente, Minister of International Trade, Acting Consul General of Brazil, Los Angeles, CA
Docent and Tour Guide, Will Rogers State Park, Santa Monica, CA
Short-order Cook, Sand & Sea Club, Santa Monica, CA
Sandwich Maker, The Italian Deli, Santa Monica, CA
Janitor, 320 Wilshire Building, Santa Monica, CA