Michael Arlen, President of NEWtritious, is raising the bar on nutrition.
Michael Arlen was a pioneer in the sales automation, desktop publishing and e-commerce revolutions. Early adoption of those technologies greatly empowered and enriched him and those in his company, Arlen Advertising. Along with the financial success, Michael Arlen was catapulted into the International forefront of a soon to be ever-changed industry, as he and his company were able to do so much more with far less than the slower-to-adapt blue chip ad agencies, who were still mired in labor intensive practices.
For almost 2 decades, while he served at the helm of Arlen Advertising, he enjoyed near “rock star status” touring the globe, speaking at Ad Industry and Technology Conferences and enjoying an enviable track record for hiring, developing, motivating and retaining high performance, cross-functional teams in fast-paced environments. Quick to spot and seize opportunities, Michael forged strategic partnerships everywhere he went. And, in its heyday, the sun never set on Arlen Advertising! It prospered even during recessionary times in the US, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City.
Michael Arlen graduated Loyola Law School with a Juris Doctorate and UCLA with a BA in Anthropology. He is both multi-lingual and multi-cultural, has traveled and lived abroad extensively, and feels just as comfortable living and doing business in Madrid, as he does in São Paulo, Hong Kong or Tokyo. He’s fluent in English, Spanish & Portuguese; knows a smattering of other languages and has a loyal following (mostly ex-employees or business associates) all over the world.
He sold Arlen Advertising in1999, but retained control of Arlen Medical Education Products; a company, which designed and sold materials that health care professionals used to learn how to treat heart attacks and other medical emergencies. After suffering a freak heart attack of his own in 2005, Michael decided to change his lifestyle and the focus of his work to that of helping people become more healthy and avoid heart attacks (cancer and degenerative diseases) altogether. Today Michael Arlen runs NEWtritious™, a forward-thinking designer / manufacturer / marketer of highly fortified, nutrient-dense foods that are “Better Tasting & Better For You”™.
To find more information about Michael Arlen or his NEWtritious™ products, like Instant NEWtrition™, HHice Creaml™ and Kherb Appeal™, you can contact Michael Arlen through: http://www.MichaelArlen.com
Michael Arlen's Background
Michael Arlen's Experience
President at NEWtritious, LLC
2002 - Present | 11400 W. Olympic Blvd., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90064-1579
* Raised the bar on nutrition & introduced “Ounces of Prevention™” into the food chain.
* Developed and introduced these innovative product lines:
1. Kherb Appeal®: A Delight-Full™ instant pudding that suppresses appetite and provides balanced nutrition.
2. Instant NEWtrition®: A savory instant soup to serve as an alternative to those sugary-sweet meal replacement shakes.
3. HHice Cream® Probiotic Defense: A vitamin & mineral fortified soft serve frozen yogurt with enough of a proprietary probiotic to earn a label claim of “supports immunity” and “provides digestive health.”
4. Alpha Omega®: An unflavored (almost flavorless) vitamin and mineral booster that can be incorporated into one’s own recipes.
5. Haute Tomato®: “Your multi-vitamin never tasted this good!”™ an instant (Virgin) Bloody Mary Mix, with electrolytes & 1/2 your Daily Value of 19 essential vitamins & minerals. Just mix with water & serve.
6. Function-ala-Teas®: Instant Teas with functionality.
* Negotiated distribution and licensing agreements.
* Developed the “NEW Deal”: a vertically integrated collaborative model that enlists the biggest influencers to become stakeholders.
President / Publisher at Arlen Medical Education Products
January 1993 - Present | Los Angeles
* Designed and developed what became the new standard in triage-focused medical education products.
* Changed the way emergency medicine was taught in medical schools; and paved the way to train and certify Allied Healthcare professionals in the delivery of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Neonatal Resuscitation.
* Designed and developed the first pocket references and Crash Cart Cards for:
(Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
(Pediatric Advanced Life Support)
♦ 3. Neonatal Resuscitation, &
4. Asthma Guidelines.
* Developed key accounts and regional distributors, and managed outside vendor relationships.
* Implemented sophisticated online marketing and internet-based viral marketing strategies.
* Boosted sales via strategic alliances with universities, associations and pharmaceutical firms.
* Cultivated a loyal clientele base of over 20,000 healthcare instructors, medical schools and hospitals.
* Developed strategic alliances with medical authorities in New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
Vice President of Marketing at ShoppingNet.com
January 1995 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Helped launch the first online aggregator of direct mail catalogs for overseas purchasers.
* Wrote business plan and provided strategic planning.
* Helped assemble Management Team to run operations.
* Shopped idea to independent investors and venture capital firms.
* Contracted for site development in English, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.
* Conducted sales presentations in the U.S., Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
* Company was purchased in 1999.
President / Creative Director at Arlen Advertising
January 1982 - October 1999 | Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico City
Founded and grew a small ad agency into an international integrated marketing firm.
* Early Adopter of Office Automation, Desktop Publishing and e-Commerce platforms helped grow the small start-up into
one of Los Angeles’s top 25 ad agencies (in billings) for 15 consecutive years.
* Took sizeable portions of the Sizzler, Kentucky Fried Chicken, PIP Printing, Prudential Insurance, City National Bank,
R&B Enterprises and IHOP business away from blue chip ad agencies.
* Cultivated a network of business relationships through long-term involvement w/ industry trade orgs and charity.
* Forged the initial alliance between 11 So Cal Newspapers to concurrently run “You and Your First Job” special
section for PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association)
The Network included:
Los Angeles Times, Orange Country Register, Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Riverside News Press, Simi Valley Enterprise and Ventura Star, Riverside Press Enterprise and the San Diego Union Tribune.
This was a harbinger to the Southern California’s “Rainbow group media buy” later offered through SRDS (Standard Rate and Data).
* Rallied all 11 newspapers to co-operate again the following year, and got La Opinion, the Korea Times and the
China Daily News to translate and publish the “You and Your First Job” materials in Spanish, Korean and Mandarin.
* Spearheaded lead generation, proposal development, sales presentations, and client negotiations.
* Analyzed sales statistics to formulate policies and develop promotional plans and materials.
* Created budgets and supervised day-to-day operations of a $28 Million enterprise.
* Opened and managed offices in Los Angeles, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore and Mexico City.
* Oversaw projects with full accountability for sales, creative, production and media.
* Sold company in October 1999.
President at YourLogoOnIt.com
July 1997 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Launched one of the first online providers of promotional items.
Increased profits through vertical integration by designing and contract manufacturing custom-designed products overseas.
* Contract manufactured unique promotional items in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Mexico.
* Created collateral materials and exhibited at key tradeshows.
* Contracted for affiliate and co-branded sales channels with major associations and trade groups.
Michael Arlen's Education
Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University
1975 – 1979
University of California, Los Angeles
1971 – 1975
Bachelors of Science
Michael Arlen's Interests & Activities
Health, Education, Arts & Culture & Animal Welfare
Past Chairman, & Member of the Board of Directors Breathe LA
January 2006 – present
Past Chairman, and Former Member, Board of Directors
American Lung Association of Los Angeles
June 1986 – June 2006
Former Member, Board of Directors
American Lung Association of California
September 1998 – June 2004
Vice President and Member, Board of Directors SOSMentor
September 2009 – present
Member, Board of Directors PIHRA Foundation
September 1993-October 1999 & September 2010 – 2012
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 117, Boy Scouts of America
Arts and Culture:
Member, Board of Directors CONTRA-TIEMPO
September 2010 – present
Member, Board of Directors Dharma Heritage Foundation
January 2010 – present
Secretary & Member of the Board of Directors Orang Utan Republik Foundation
January 2009 – January 2012
Former Member, Board of Directors: Employment Management Association
Former Member, District 5’s Board of Directors: Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
Former Member, Board of Directors: Asian American Alliance of Public Relations & Ad Agencies
Former Member, Board of Director, American Social Marketing Association (ASMA)
Former Member, Board of Director, World Trade Center Association of Los Angeles County
Former Member, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
Judge: Addy Awards (2000, 2001, 2002)
Judge: Clio Awards (1994, 1995, 1996)
Pres. of Jury, Foreman of TV Entries: 11th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil (1998)
Juror, Foreman of Print Entries & Panelist: 10th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil (1996)
Speaker at: Seybold (1994, 1995, 1996),
Speaker at: MacWorld Expo (1995, 1996)
Contributing Editor: Ad Age, Asian Edition (1995, 1996, 1997)
Contributing Author: MicroPublishing Times (1993 –1997)
Intern/Legislative Analyst - Congressman Anthony Beilenson, Los Angeles, CA
Law Clerk - Dryden Harrington & Swartz
Special Assistant to Murillo Valente, Minister of International Trade, Acting Consul General of Brazil, Los Angeles