Michael Arlen, President of NEWtritious, is raising the bar in the nutrition we eat by using NEW ingredients and embracing NEW discoveries in Bio-science.
Come taste what's "NEW" at NEWtritious!
Michael Arlen was a pioneer in the sales automation, desktop publishing and e-commerce revolutions. Early adoption of those technologies greatly empowered and enriched him and those in his company, Arlen Advertising. Along with the financial success, Michael Arlen was catapulted into the International forefront of a soon to be ever-changed industry, as he and his company were able to do so much more with far less than the slower-to-adapt blue chip ad agencies, who were still mired in labor intensive practices.
For almost 2 decades, while he served at the helm of Arlen Advertising, he enjoyed near “rock star status” touring the globe, speaking at Ad Industry and Technology Conferences and enjoying an enviable track record for hiring, developing, motivating and retaining high performance, cross-functional teams in fast-paced environments. Quick to spot and seize opportunities, Michael forged strategic partnerships everywhere he went. And, in its heyday, the sun never set on Arlen Advertising! It prospered even during recessionary times in the US, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City.
Michael Arlen graduated Loyola Law School with a Juris Doctorate and UCLA with a BA in Anthropology. He is both multi-lingual and multi-cultural, has traveled and lived abroad extensively, and feels just as comfortable living and doing business in Madrid, as he does in São Paulo, Hong Kong or Tokyo. He’s fluent in English, Spanish & Portuguese; knows a smattering of other languages and has a loyal following (mostly ex-employees or business associates) all over the world.
He sold Arlen Advertising in1999, but retained control of Arlen Medical Education Products; a company, which designed and sold materials that health care professionals used to learn how to treat heart attacks and other medical emergencies. After suffering a freak heart attack of his own in 2005, Michael decided to change his lifestyle and the focus of his work to that of helping people become more healthy and avoid heart attacks (cancer and degenerative diseases) altogether. Today Michael Arlen runs NEWtritious™, a forward-thinking designer / manufacturer / marketer of highly fortified, nutrient-dense foods that are “Better Tasting & Better For You”™.
To find more information about Michael Arlen or his NEWtritious™ products, like Instant NEWtrition™, HHice Creaml™ and Kherb Appeal™, you can contact Michael Arlen through: http://www.MichaelArlen.com
Michael Arlen's Background
Michael Arlen's Experience
President at NEWtritious
* Researched & developed initial formulations for functional foods and beverages.
* Created multiple product lines to fill high-demand niches.
* Established both brick and mortar and internet presence, along with an enterprise system where warehousing and fulfillment interface with multiple supply chains, providing accounting based on their specific contractual arrangements.
* Designed electronic & printed sales materials, developed advertising, public relations & advertorial strategies, and taught salespeople & marketers about the unique selling propositions of each product.
* Initiated distribution and licensing agreements worldwide.
Operations Officer at ARYA Group
July 2004 - June 2007 | Los Angeles
* Oversaw the activities of the Legal, Contract Administration / Risk Management, Administrative Services, Human Resources, and
Property Management Departments.
* Developed and instituted Government Relations, Public Relations and Customer Service programs.
President / Publisher at Arlen Medical Education Products
January 1993 - 2004 | Los Angeles
Designed and developed a well received triage-focused product line of medical education products.
* Changed the way emergency medicine was presented in medical schools across the country.
* Developed key accounts and regional distributors, and managed outside vendor relationships.
* Implemented sophisticated online marketing and internet-based viral marketing strategies.
* Boosted sales via strategic alliances with universities, associations and pharmaceutical firms.
* Cultivated a loyal clientele base of over 20,000 healthcare instructors, medical schools and hospitals.
* Developed strategic alliances with medical authorities in New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
Vice President of Marketing at ShoppingNet.com
January 1995 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Helped launch an online aggregator of direct mail catalogs for overseas purchasers.
* Wrote business plan and provided strategic planning.
* Helped assemble Management Team to run operations.
* Shopped idea to independent investors and venture capital firms.
* Contracted for site development in English, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.
* Conducted sales presentations in the U.S., Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
* Company was purchased in 1999.
President / Creative Director at Arlen Advertising
January 1982 - October 1999 | Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico City
Founded and grew a small ad agency into an international integrated marketing firm.
* Spearheaded lead generation, proposal development, sales presentations, and client negotiations.
* Analyzed sales statistics to formulate policies and develop promotional plans and materials.
* Created budgets and supervised day-to-day operations of a $28 Million enterprise.
* Opened and managed offices in Los Angeles, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore and Mexico City.
* Oversaw projects with full accountability for sales, creative, production and media.
* Early Adopter of Office Automation, Desktop Publishing and e-Commerce helped grow the small start-up into one of Los
Angeles’s top 25 ad agencies (in billings) for 15 consecutive years.
* Took sizeable portions of the Sizzler, Kentucky Fried Chicken, PIP Printing, and IHOP business away from blue chip ad agencies.
* Cultivated a network of business relationships through long-term involvement w/ industry and charity.
* Forged the initial alliance between 11 Southern California Newspapers* to concurrently run “You and Your First Job” special section
for PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association)
* Los Angeles Times, Orange Country Register, Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Riverside News Press, Simi Valley Enterprise and Ventura Star, Riverside Press Enterprise and the San Diego Union Tribune. This was a harbinger to the Southern California’s “Rainbow group media buy” later offered through SRDS (Standard Rate and Data).
* Rallied all 11 newspapers to co-operate the following year and got La Opinion, Korea Times and China Daily News to agree to
translate and publish the “You and Your First Job” materials in Spanish, Korean and Mandarin Chinese.
* Sold company in October 1999.
Michael Arlen's Education
Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University
1975 – 1979
University of California, Los Angeles
1971 – 1975
Bachelors of Science
Michael Arlen's Interests & Activities
Health, Education, Arts & Culture & Animal Welfare
Past Chairman, & Member of the Board of Directors Breathe LA
January 2006 – present
Past Chairman, and Former Member, Board of Directors
American Lung Association of Los Angeles
June 1986 – June 2006
Former Member, Board of Directors
American Lung Association of California
September 1998 – June 2004
Vice President and Member, Board of Directors SOSMentor
September 2009 – present
Member, Board of Directors PIHRA Foundation
September 1993-October 1999 & September 2010 – 2012
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 117, Boy Scouts of America
Arts and Culture:
Member, Board of Directors CONTRA-TIEMPO
September 2010 – present
Member, Board of Directors Dharma Heritage Foundation
January 2010 – present
Secretary & Member of the Board of Directors Orang Utan Republik Foundation
January 2009 – January 2012
Former Member, Board of Directors: Employment Management Association
Former Member, District 5’s Board of Directors: Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
Former Member, Board of Directors: Asian American Alliance of Public Relations & Ad Agencies
Former Member, Board of Director, American Social Marketing Association (ASMA)
Former Member, Board of Director, World Trade Center Association of Los Angeles County
Former Member, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
Judge: Addy Awards (2000, 2001, 2002)
Judge: Clio Awards (1994, 1995, 1996)
Pres. of Jury, Foreman of TV Entries: 11th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil (1998)
Juror, Foreman of Print Entries & Panelist: 10th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil (1996)
Speaker at: Seybold (1994, 1995, 1996),
Speaker at: MacWorld Expo (1995, 1996)
Contributing Editor: Ad Age, Asian Edition (1995, 1996, 1997)
Contributing Author: MicroPublishing Times (1993 –1997)
Intern/Legislative Analyst - Congressman Anthony Beilenson, Los Angeles, CA
Law Clerk - Dryden Harrington & Swartz
Special Assistant to Murillo Valente, Minister of International Trade, Acting Consul General of Brazil, Los Angeles